Do you ever feel like you are not quite enough in motherhood or life? Do you worry about how you can raise your children to be kind and competent adults without losing yourself somewhere along the way? If so, you are in the right place.
My name is Lynnette Sheppard, mother of five and resident blogger here at Simply for Real, and it is my mission to encourage and inspire mothers to live and parent on purpose while staying true to themselves. Because although we are all flawed, every single one of us is enough, just the way we are.
One thing I am passionate about is keeping things real. This little corner of the Internet is a place for real life, real stories, and real growth. There is no pressure to be perfect, so come as you are. Hopefully, my words will leave you saying, “Me, too.”
I think you will enjoy being a part of our joyfully imperfect community.
I have a few core beliefs that govern my writing…
1. Motherhood is a divine and fulfilling calling, but it can be overwhelming at times. It helps to know that you are not alone in your struggles.
2. The purpose of parenting is to teach children to fly. Or, in other words, preparing my kids to stand on their own two feet and contribute to the good of society is a HUGE deal to me.
3. There are too many voices trying to convince women that they will never be good enough, smart enough, successful enough, thin enough, fashionable enough, or enough in any other way. Those voices are wrong.
4. We have a loving Heavenly Father who cares deeply about each one of us. He will help us become the best version of ourselves if we turn to Him.
And just so you know…
I am not much of a “how to” writer. If you are looking for specific instructions on how to do things (like teaching strong-willed children to behave or getting your baby to sleep through the night), you will not find what you are looking for here. Honestly, I am still figuring out how to do many things myself. Because of that, I am not always in a position to provide step-by-step instructions for navigating specific situations.
I am, however, excellent at seeing life lessons in ordinary experiences. That it is one of my super powers. I generally prefer to talk about principles (the why) and allow people to apply them in ways that make sense to them, given their individual circumstances.
At the end of the day, I am a simple woman who is doing my best to live a purpose filled life and help my kids do the same. Friendship, encouragement, and perspective are the gifts that I have to offer you.
If any of that strikes a chord…
Here are a few popular posts to get you started:
I have a few strong-willed or “spirited” children at my house. One thing that a sweet elderly woman told me years ago has given me strength beyond my own as I have struggled to raise them. Perhaps it will help you also.
I am a big proponent of modesty, but for reasons beyond the superficial – reasons that empower women and girls to love their bodies.
Kids are capable of doing so much more than we sometimes expect of them. Perhaps it is time to put on your mean mom pants and require them to do these five things that teach good ‘ol life skills.
You can dive into more of my most popular posts here.
Don’t forget to connect with me…
The best way to keep in touch with me is by subscribing to my newsletter, which goes out once a week. You can do that with this form and, as a thank you, I will hook you up with a free workbook to help you discover and embrace the mother that you were born to be, not the one that you feel like you should be. I think you will find it gives you a fresh, new perspective that will allow you to be who you ARE and find more joy along your motherhood journey.
Do you ever feel like you are not enough in motherhood? I created this workbook just for you!
Join the Simply for Real community and it is yours for free!
Contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Just in case you were wondering…
You can get to know my family a little better here.
Here are ten fun facts about me:
- I am married to my best friend, Greg. We dated in high school, married young (I was 20…he was 21), and have been happily married since 1997.
- My kids range in age from 8-18, which gives us the whole spectrum of fun! (The teenage years are arguably my favorite so far.)
- I graduated from Brigham Young University with a BS in Family and Consumer Sciences. My fascination with family has been around for many years.
- I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. (You may know us as the Mormons.) My faith plays a HUGE role in my life. I reference it on occasion, but I never speak officially for the church. All opinions expressed are mine alone. (Visit this site to learn more about what I believe.)
- I am in love with chocolate. I try to avoid buying chocolate chips in bulk because I tend to eat them out of my freezer by the handful. Those things are dangerous!
- I enjoy cooking. Although we have our favorite recipes, it is not uncommon for us to try several new recipes every week. A cart full of fresh produce is strangely exciting for me.
- A messy house stresses me out, but that is usually not enough to motivate me to fold my laundry. I hate folding laundry. With a passion. With a family of seven, it is NEVER done.
- I drink whole milk. No low-fat alternatives can come close to matching its deliciousness.
- I HATE being cold. That is why we live in the desert. I will take hot summers over cold winters any day.
- I enjoy hiking, sitting on the beach, watching beautiful desert sunsets, and otherwise appreciating the beauty of nature.